The USF Health Byrd Alzheimer’s Institute was founded on the vision of former Florida Speaker of the House, Johnnie Byrd, Jr. whose father suffered from the disease. The Institute is a multi-disciplinary Center of Excellence at the University of South Florida that provides compassionate family-centered patient care, performs cutting edge research and delivers quality public and professional education.
The USF Health Byrd Alzheimer’s Institute is dedicated to the prevention, treatment and cure of Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders. With a state-of-the-art building and a highly qualified team of researchers, doctors, clinicians and educators, we are in the forefront of Alzheimer’s research and care.
The core missions of the Institute include:
- To conduct laboratory research to understand the changes in the brain that cause dementia and to develop approaches for the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
- To conduct clinical trials to test treatments for individuals with all stages of memory loss.
- Provide state-of-the-art diagnostic evaluations and the highest level of patient care to individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and other memory problems.
- Support family caregivers by providing educational programs, support groups, counseling and information.
- Provide education and training for healthcare professionals, service providers and students.
The rapid growth of the Institute and the need for groundbreaking approaches to the care and treatment of patients with memory disorders has led us to develop the concept of the Center for Memory C.A.R.E. (Clinical Assessment, Research & Education). The entire second floor of our Institute is a revolutionary Center that provides the most up-to-date diagnostic and caregiving services to patients and their families in One Place. For more information on the USF Health Byrd Alzheimer Institute, please visit http://health.usf.edu/byrd/
This Alzheimer’s Institute is located just a few miles from Memory Lane Cottage at Tampa Palms.